We are so excited for the upcoming raku firings!
Firing & Other
- Please carpool if you’re in a group if possible, parking is minimal.
- Print your event receipt or simply save to your phone. If parking gets tight in the evenings, they will send down an attendant to only let raku participants in. You can show them your receipt and they will give you priority.
- Please forward this info to those in your party whom you have signed up for especially if they are driving separately.
- Please arrive 5-10 minutes before your time slot. We are on a time schedule with the firings.
- Address: Dirt Farm Brewery, 18701 Foggy Bottom Rd, Bluemont, VA 20135
- This event will be held rain or shine.
- Allow up to 2 hours for the entire event.
- You will have a limited time to glaze (50 minutes max). This year our kilns will fire 14 pieces per hour so your pieces need to be glazed within 50 minutes so we can load them and fire them at the second hour. There will be NO SPACE to fit your pottery into any other firing. IF YOU KNOW YOU WILL TAKE A LONG TIME TO GLAZE, PLEASE ARRIVE EXTRA EARLY. You are free to glaze however early you need however please yield to others glazing within their hour who may need a seat / glaze color.
- Keep your glazing expectations LOW and have fun! Raku glazes will not always turn out like the sample colors but that’s part of the fun. Having said this, you may find that experimenting with layering different glazes can yield some great unique results.
- ONLY 2-3 coats of glaze are allowed! You can layer colors but DO NOT exceed a total of 3 coats on the pottery. Excessive globby glaze will cause a mess in the kiln and cause your pottery to end up with blisters!
- LIMITED stickers will be avialable. We make our own stickers and it is very time consuming so please keep your sticker use to a minimum especially kids who may get sticker happy. Feel free to bring your own stickers to mask any areas you want to be black. Vinyl stickers cut from the cricut are perfect for this project! We will also supply tape for lines and geometric shapes. Please use what you take and do not waste.
Firing & Other
- While your raku piece fires in the kiln (about 30 – 45 minutes) please enjoy all that dirt farm has to offer! They have a food truck, an awesome taproom, a hotdog and snow cone stand and live music on occasion..
- Children must be supervised especially around the firing area.
- There are public bathrooms in the brewery.
- LEASHED dogs are welcome outside. Service dogs only may enter the taproom.
- NO OUTSIDE FOOD OR BEVERAGE is allowed at Dirt Farm Brewery